Chocolate Covered Walnuts
- White of 1 egg,
- 3 tablespoonfuls of maple or caramel syrup,
- 1 tablespoonful of water,
- sifted confectioner's sugar,
- 1 teaspoonful of vanilla extract,
- 2 or more squares of baker's chocolate,
- English walnuts.
Beat the white of egg slightly, add the syrup, water, sugar as needed, the chocolate, melted over hot water, and the vanilla, also more water if necessary.
Work with a silver plated knife and knead until thoroughly mixed, then break off small pieces of uniform size and roll them into balls, in the hollow of the hand, flatten the balls a little, set the ½ of an English walnut upon each, pressing the nut into the candy and thus flattening it still more.
The caramel gives the chocolate a particularly nice flavor.