Recipe for chocolate cake filling.
- 1 cup of milk,
- pinch of salt,
- 1 ½ squares of Baker's Chocolate,
- 2 level tablespoonfuls of flour,
- 2 eggs (yolks),
- 5 tablespoonfuls of sugar (level),
- 1 teaspoonful of vanilla.
- Put milk, salt and chocolate in upper part of the double-boiler, and when hot and smooth, stir in the flour, which has been mixed with enough cold milk to be thin enough to pour into the hot milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens; then let it cook eight or ten minutes.
- Mix the eggs and sugar together and pour the hot mixture over them, stirring well; put back in double-boiler and cook, stirring constantly one minute.
- Remove, and when cool add one teaspoonful of vanilla.
Chocolate Cream for Filling
Five tablespoonfuls of grated chocolate, enough cream or milk to wet it, one cupful of sugar, one egg, one teaspoonful vanilla flavoring. Stir the ingredients over the fire until thoroughly mixed, having beaten the egg well before adding it; then add the vanilla flavoring after it is removed from the fire.
The whites of three eggs beaten stiff, one cup of sugar and one cup of grated chocolate, put between the layers and on top.