Chocolate Blanc Mange
A recipe for chocolate blanc mange.
- Put one quart of milk in the double-boiler, and place on the fire.
- Sprinkle into it one level tablespoonful of sea-moss farina.
- Cover, and cook until the mixture looks white, stirring frequently.
- It will take about twenty minutes.
- While the milk and farina are cooking, shave two ounces of chocolate, and put it into a small pan with four tablespoonfuls of sugar and two of boiling water.
- Stir over a hot fire until smooth and glossy, then stir into the cooked mixture.
- Add a saltspoonful of salt and a teaspoonful of vanilla.
- Strain, and turn into a mould that has been rinsed in cold water.
- Set the mould in a cold place, and do not disturb it until the blanc-mange is cold and firm.
- Serve with sugar and cream.
Blanc Mange Recipe 2
½ a box of gelatine soaked in a cupful of water for an hour, ½ a cupful of grated chocolate, rubbed smooth in a little milk. Boil two cupfuls of milk, then add the gelatine and chocolate and one cupful of sugar; boil all together eight or ten minutes. Remove from the fire, and when nearly cold beat into this the whipped whites of three eggs, flavored with vanilla. Should be served cold with custard made of the yolks, or sugar and cream. Set the molds in a cold place.