Baked Chocolate Custard Recipe
A baked chocolate custard recipe.
- For five small custards use one pint of milk, two eggs, one ounce of chocolate, one-fourth of a teaspoonful of salt, and a piece of stick cinnamon about an inch long.
- Put the cinnamon and milk in the double-boiler, place on the fire and cook for ten minutes.
- Shave the chocolate, and put it in a small pan with three tablespoonfuls of sugar and one of boiling water.
- Stir this over a hot fire until smooth and glossy, and then stir it into the hot milk, after which take the liquid mixture from the fire and cool.
- Beat together with a spoon the eggs, salt and two tablespoonfuls of the sugar.
- Add the cooled milk and strain.
- Pour the mixture into the cups, which place in a deep pan.
- Pour into the pan enough tepid water to come nearly to the top of the cups.
- Bake in a moderate oven until firm in the center. It will take about ½ an hour.
- Test your chocolate custard dessert pie by running a knife through the center.
- If the custard is milky, it is not done.
- Serve very cold.