Chocolate Almond Recipe
A recipe for chocolate almond bars.
- ½ a cup of sugar,
- ¾ a cup of glucose,
- ½ a cup of water,
- (¼ an ounce of paraffine at discretion),
- ½ a cup of blanched almonds, chopped fine,
- 1/3 the recipe for fondant,
- 3 or 4 ozs. of baker's chocolate,
- 1 teaspoonful of vanilla.
- Melt the sugar in the water and glucose and let boil to about 252° F., or between a soft and a hard ball.
- Without the paraffine cook a little higher than with it.
- Add the almonds and the vanilla, mix thoroughly and turn onto a marble or platter over which powdered sugar has been sifted.
- Turn out the candy in such a way that it will take a rectangular shape on the marble.
- When cool enough score it in strips about an inch and a quarter wide, and, as it grows cooler, lift the strips, one by one, to a board and cut them in pieces ½ or three-quarters of an inch wide.
- When cold, drop them, sugar side down, in chocolate fondant prepared for "dipping."
- With the fork push them below the fondant, lift out, drain as much as possible, and set onto oil cloth.
- These improve upon keeping.