Devils Food Cake Recipe
A recipe for a very rich chocolate cake, the devils own food.
- 5 level tablespoonfuls of butter,
- 1 ¼ cups of sugar,
- 3 ½ squares of chocolate, (melted),
- 3 eggs,
- 1 teaspoonful of vanilla,
- ¾ a cup of milk,
- 3 ½ level teaspoonfuls of baking powder,
- 1 ½ cups of sifted pastry flour.
Cream the butter, add sugar and chocolate to your devils food cake, then the unbeaten eggs and vanilla, and beat together until very smooth. Sift the baking powder with one-½ a cup of the flour, and use first; then alternate the milk and the remaining flour, and make the mixture stiff enough to drop from the spoon. Beat until very smooth and bake in loaf in moderate oven. For tests see Recipe 3 on this page: Cocoa Cake recipe.